History of the Diocese

The Jamshedpur Diocese was erected on 2nd July, 1962 with Late Cardinal Lawrence Trevor Picachy, S.J., as its first Bishop. It was started by the American Jesuit missionaries from the Maryland (USA) Province. Because of the selfless service of these American Jesuit priests, the Diocese today proudly serves 65,000 Catholics with 153 local diocesan and religious priests; 45 convents; 32 parishes; and 96 Mission stations. The Diocese comprises the civil districts of East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum, Seraikela-Kharswan, Dhanbad, Chandankiyari and part of Chas block of Bokaro and the District of Purulia in West Bengal. The subdivisions of Chaibasa, Chakradharpur and Seraikela in the West Singhbhum Districts were formerly part of the Archdiocese of Ranchi. The Districts of East Singhbhum, Bokaro, Dhanbad and Purulia were part of the Archdiocese of Calcutta. It is also a registered society as per the government norms in the Jharkhand State under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, No.385.

New Here? New Here?
Vocation Office Vocation Office
Golden Jubilee Golden Jubilee
© 2013 The Catholic Diocese of Jamshedpur all right reserved.